Thursday, January 13, 2011

so how are they?

A couple of weeks ago, at the park, someone asked me “so how are they?” “they” being Pembroke welsh corgis. If it weren’t for my friend’s corgi (named Lumpia), I would’ve probably never owned a corgi to begin with. Maybe a shiba inu  or chocolate lab or even a orange tabby cat. I probably wouldn’t consider a shiba inu now just because I’m not attracted to their personalities even though . They seem to be timid, very independent dogs for the most part. I think I’ve only met one shiba that actually wanted to say hi to Bailey or play with him. Probably not a chocolate lab because I think the corgi size ~30 is perfect. Anything more or less seems to be a bit off – hahaa. And… and orange tabby cat. I still like cats, but if I ever got a cat, it would have to be super social. It’s a bit weird to have a cat that you only see for an hour a day.

Anyways, when I respond to the folks at the dog park.. I normally can cite a bunch of reasons why corgis the best, but I always find myself expressing how great their personalities are – such fun-loving, smart, curious and SO SO expressive. That’s what I love... the expressiveness- I melt every time I see a corgi smile. I also say how cheery, intelligent, how they have a perfect size, and their energy for life . A con for me is the shedding, but the PRO’s outweigh any thought of this con.

Just was thinking last night how much I love Bailey (and also how much I’ve spoiled him – and need to stop). He’s turning three in two weeks – we’re going to throw a big party – but – time flies so fast and I am sooooooooo soooooo glad he’s mine even though he likes to eat crap off the sidewalks!!!

The first day I met Bailey back in 2008, he looked like this (mind you I don't have humungous hands and he is nearly the size of my hand only!):






Now – he’s all grown up and I swear I see a bit of white coming in on the muzzle!!! We've kept his hotdog toy (dubbed Jorge - pronounced hor-hay). I bought this toy for bailey as a "present" when I went to visit him at 5 weeks old. I let him keep it until I came to pick him up at 8 weeks. Jorge came back with teared out eyes and his stomach ripped open (with help from bailey's littermates), but i managed to perform some magic surgery to bring him back to life. However, Bailey is not allowed to chew on him anymore. He's a household keepsake now. :)




Have a great weekend!




5 comments:

Paige, Dexter and Violet said...

I totally agree. I've never had a dog as expressive or vocal as Dexter. He talks to me allll day long, I love it!

Kelly said...

Awwww he is sooo cute. We still have Gibson's' first toy (a giant stuffed baseball) as well and freak out whenever he starts playing rough with it. It's more for us now than for him :)

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

OMG, Bailey was such a cute puppy! We have a shiba neighbor, they sure are different from corgis, very independent, almost like a cat in a way.

Laurie said...

Awwwwww puppy pics!!! Loveeee.

I probably will always get corgis from now on...and I originally intended on getting a pug.

purplexllamas said...

My goodness , Bailey! How adorable! And Karen , I'm so glad you didn't let him rip Jorge up. Haha (: