Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Baileyversary




Today is a special day, March 15th. It's exactly 3 years from the first day that Bailey came home! I remember that day very well. It was a two and a half hour drive up north to Corning, California, a small little rural town in the middle of nowhere best known for their … Olives?? (I distinctly remember a sign that read .. Welcome to Corning … THE OLIVE CITY!!... something to that effect. Anyways! I remember the breeder opening her front door and then asking who I was coming to pick up. In about a minute, she brought Bailey out, cradled over her shoulder (much like how I carry him now – like a baby over the shoulder). He was at least 3x the size that I remember when I saw him two weeks ago then – at a mere 5 weeks. We went in, signed some paperwork and she gave me some food and advice… and we were on our way home!. While I was leaving her house, I also remember running into a couple who was there to also pick up their new addition, the only other red/white corgi in the litter. They mentioned that they recently lost a corgi they received from this same breeder in a car accident in their driveway. We were very saddened to hear that on the way out…. He was only 3 years old. Exactly how old Bailey is now. It's a bit eerie thinking back on that now. So – back to the story , if it's one thing I regret that day, I really regret not getting contact information for the couple that took the other red/white puppy home! I really wish we all kept in touch! Bailey was a super duper trooper the entire way back, sleeping in my friends arms all the way through. We did stop by the vet on the way back to get his first exam, and it went great. I remember (side note: I'm starting to get a feeling that this was 10 years ago or something with the "I remember" this and "I remember that"..) giving Bailey his first bath in a Rubbermaid tub in the kitchen sink (he smelled grossly like a farm animal!!!) and him looking like a dachshund afterwards. Wow.. now three years later (where'd the time go?!!)… he's just as spunky, smart, and loveable as he was the day he came home!

 

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, BAILEY!

3 comments:

betty said...

happy anniversary Bailey and Karen!! great memories of how he joined your family!! I remember vividly Koda's day he joined our family six years ago


betty

Kelly said...

Happy Baileyversary!!!! :)

Laurie said...

Aww love it! Such a great story :) So glad you found each other!