Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tough Cookie

Bailey is a tough cookie. Well, he's very brave. When he was a young pup - he'd go up to every kind of dog - wanting to be friends with everyone! Pit Bulls, Rotties, Dobermans, Labs, Goldens, etc. He's made good friends with some, and not so good friends with others. Bailey thought every dog at the park was nice. Well, he learned the hard way if they weren't, but also met some good friends too. There was especially this one Doberman we met that was so sweet, Bailey and her would wrestle and the owner of the doberman and I thought it was the cutest thing ever.

Now, well, theres also another type of braveness - Bailey can tolerate a bit of annoyance/bothersome behavior before dishing out some @$!@%@!@42@@!??#% himself. Take an example today. Kiko the Corgi and Bailey are good friends, have never had any tiffs, but for some reason at our monthly meetup today, Kiko wouldn't stop barking in Bailey's face when Bailey was trying to ,.. you know.... herd the crowd up (i.e. chase dogs chasing balls). In the pictures below, you'll see what I mean.

First she tried to get in my business. I tried to ignore it.
Then, she tried to show off and outrun me but I thought, hey cool. a running buddy.
But... then she starting barking in my face and i tried to be nice and make some funny faces.

ok so then i tried some ugly faces because she wouldn't stop!
I decided to run off and mind myself !

but she didn't relent. So...... I snapped. Well I am a nice snapper. Just kindly gave her a dose of what'd she been giving me the past fifteen minutes (grunting an barking) Look at her face. She then proceeded to get the clue and leave me alone. :)

Bailey will stand up for himself. I love that about him. Even at the dog part yesterday: Two dogs went two on one on him (each taking a nip at his butt), and he spun around and told them off. I think the big dogs underestimate him. :) It does get a bit hairy sometimes, and I worry sometimes, but it has almost always turned out well and in his favor. It's what we've come to expect in such a large dog park with dogs of all shapes and sizes. Are your corgis brave? submissive? won't take any crap? 

Other than this, our corgi meetup today (attendance list: Rosy, Waffles, Cow, Kiko, Bailey, Sawyer, Grey, Mitts, Bella, Lucy, Louie and Degree ) and beach frolicking went really well.. The weather behaved, tsunami warning lifted, and we were out and about as usual. So thankful. However, there is currently a drafted piece of legislation in place proposed by the feds that may limit this wonderful beach to  a leash-only or no-dog beach. We are really sad, and will be opposing this plan! *sigh*.

Also, I hope everyone has been enjoying our "picture a day" posts! Have a great weekend!

Bailey's sandy face after rolling in the sand

watching my reflection


doing some diggin!




Bailey at the meetup




New friend, "Degree" :)

Rosy and Kiko

proof it just wasn't me. Rosy was also telling Kiko to chill!


Corgis going after the ball



Also   - here's a video of bailey demonstrating his herding instinct on the beach! Bailey does this everytime there is an excited dog waiting for a ball to be thrown....


4 comments:

betty said...

good for Bailey holding his own!! WTG Bailey for telling others how you feel if they are in your face and doing it somewhat politely and not too aggressively!! Koda doesn't play well with others so we never can do this kind of interaction :(

have a great Sunday!

betty

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about Riley - Bailey's brown body double!

Laurie said...

Great pics! Look at that smile!!

ShareShotgunner said...

When and where are the SF corgi meetups? Which beach did you take Bailey to?