Monday, December 6, 2010

Scary; Holiday Pics

This past weekend was pretty uneventful for Bailey. I had to take care of some things, so Bailey spent most of his time at grammas (my moms house) or lounging around while I did things at home. Plus, the weather has been wet lately, so we haven’t been able to get out much… and it gets so dark early now that I don’t even get to take him to the park anymore after work….. BUT I did manage to get him out to the park on Friday after work since I work shorter days on Fridays. We headed to the park, and everything seemed fine. About 5 minutes later Bailey ran for the parking lot full speed. Well, of course I knew what it was... but let me start with some background:

If you remember in this post, I shared with you a minor scare we had at the dog park involving two hounds that were chasing Bailey and barking (in hound fashion - the ARROOOFF ARROOOOO sound), and ran for hte parking lot. I managed to catch up to him and had another lady catch him in the distance so taht I could leash him. and well after that day, I learened that that is terrifying for Bailey. He still loves that bark but is now more aware of his surroundings. If you knew Bailey, you'd be like - nothing scares this little guy. Bailey's  so brave in all situations... why would a barking hound bother him?!?! Well for some reason, it scares the life out of him, enough that he will not listen to me and just RUN. So..... on friday.... it happened again.

We arrived at the park like any other normal day. the park is not fenced in, its acres and acres of open land with access to the beach, and  huge parking lot. Bailey started doing tih sbusiness and all of a sudden, out in the distance i heard a ARROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ARROOO and well, Baileys ears perked up about 2 seconds and he turned around and started running. towards the parking lot. where cars are backing out. My blood pressure skyrocketed and i ran after him. Well, long story short, one of our corgi friends (Cow and his dad), saw bailey, recognized him and called him over adn leashed him. The hounds were leaving hte park as we were arriving so we let them leave (which took awhile because the two hounds would not listen to their owner as they started chasing down a shepherd who was also terrified). I took bailey on a leashed walk through the park, and didint let him off again. he calmed down, buti could tell he was on a lookout.

I don't know what to do. I guess I can't really tell the hounds' owners to keep their dog on leash, cause, well the dogs just chasing another dog. So - I'm just going to have to be more careful... but since Bailey's hearing is so much better than mine I don't know if that will work. And, we cannot stop going to this park. It's the best park in the entire world! So... we're hoping to just hopefully not be at the park when the hounds are there.  Losing him scares me as much as the hounds scare him. ARGH.

This weekend went by quick. We did manage to send out our secret santa gift last week too, so our lucky recipient should be receiving it soon. :)

On another happy note, Bailey and I did manage to get our holiday cards in the mail. we ordered them through shutterfly. We ordered three different designs because I couldn't decide (one of them is on the left). It took me forever to get a shot of us together looking at the camera because I did it alone with no help!!!Their cards are high quality! We hope to send those out soon as well. Bailey and I want to send them to you too... so if you don't mind providing me an address - we'd love to send you one. email your address to orangecorgi at gmail. We so far have stanley's and benny/butterballs's since we were paw it forward buddies, but for the rest - I don't! :)



8 comments:

purplexllamas said...

The card looks soo professional! You should teach me how to make those(:

Bailey and Cali - Two Pups, One Tale said...

the card is very cute...We got ours from shutterlfy as well...love their cards...I will email you, I love to receive xmas cards, and a cute corgi on a card makes the card even better...:-)

betty said...

one thing I know about corgis, they never forget anything, so I'm sure Bailey will always be hypersensitive about the park. The park sounds cool though. You might need to keep him on a very long leash, LOL, to have him enjoy himself there and not cause you to be anxious at every sound you hear. your Christmas card is so cute!

betty

Laurie said...

Ahh that is scary! I guess if you see those dogs, try to avoid them? We had a similar situation after Sadie was bit at the dog park. We just would stay away from that dog if we saw him again.

Love the card!! I will email you our address, and I am actually posting about this on our blog as well :)

Katie said...

love love love how your christmas card came out! awesome!

Karen and Bailey said...

anna - you are too funny :)

Bailey&Cali - thanks! we got it! will be sending them out next week!

Betty - i am thinking about teh long leash except that i am not too fond of it being drug through poop, pee and well, other stuff!


Laurie - yea only bad thing is bailey usually hears them before i see OR hear them!!!!
we're excited to be sending u a card!

Katie - thanks i hope we can send u a card as well!!! :D I know Whiskey would love it lol

Jenny said...

That is scary about Bailey! Does Bailey not have a good recall? That's something we've been trying to work on with Stanley. It's really hard b/c he's still only listening about 50% of the time when we are outdoors :( I have a dvd about teaching a dog an emergency recall. I could send you a copy if you like?

Karen said...

poor bailey :(

butterball benny and i would love a chirstmas card :)